The language in mashme can easily be changed from English (original language of the platform) to any other language using Google Translate (depending on Chrome settings).
This change includes all the interface labels (Platform Menus, Room Names, Chat Tags, Video Streams, etc.) as well as the English messages written in the chat box.
All the articles in our Help Portal can be also translated this way.
When accessing a page from a domain where the language is different to the one selected in Chrome settings, the browser shows a prompt asking for translation back to the original language and a language icon appears on the right side of the browser bar.
Just clicking on “Translate” (either in the prompt message or the language icon), English will automatically be translated into the language set in Chrome.
Translating to a different language is also possible choosing it from the list:
language icon > menu (፧) > “Choose another language” > drop down list > “Translate”
This way, people who have different languages selected can see the same classroom chat written in English, automatically translated into their own languages.
Note that Google only translates from the language specified for that domain. This means that in mashme.io, only the messages written in English will be translated.
- How do I set my default language in Chrome?
- Go to: More / Settings / Appearance / Advanced / Language
- Or enter in the address bar: chrome://settings/languages
- For further info, visit: Change Chrome languages & translate webpages
- I cannot translate the page (I don’t see the prompt message or the Google Translate icon on the address bar)
- This happens because English is one of your preferred languages in Chrome settings
- You can solve this in two ways (language settings in Chrome):
- Remove English language from Chrome preferences
- Or choose “Offer to translate pages in this language” in the English option
- Then refresh the browser and the prompt/icon will appear
- Remember you can also choose the language of the platform managing your account details (https://accounts.mashme.io/): How do I change the language?
- Note that this will only translate the menus and will not translate the messages in the chat, nor the articles in the Help Portal.